Adventures In Running

Sunday, November 16, 2008

30 Days of Thanksgiving - Day 16

I love my banjo! It is not the usual instrument most people choose to play. I think that is because it chose me.

When I was 15, I went with some friends down to the Ozarks to help take care of their kids while they were on vacation. We went to an Amusement Park down near Branson (before it became famous) and I heard some bluegrass music and decided right then and there that I wanted to learn to play the banjo.

Fast Forward 29 years later ... when my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer I suddenly began to wonder why I had put off some of my dreams like running a marathon and learning to play a banjo. I used my birthday money in 2004 to pick up a student banjo and some music and taught myself to play. I am still not very good at the banjo, but I have a much nicer banjo now (by the way - those suckers are heavy) and enjoy picking away at the instrument.
Maurine

No comments: