Adventures In Running

Monday, January 5, 2009

Treadmill Endurance Test - take 2

Yesterday I did a lot of icing of both my knees since they have been aching a lot to be ready to do a treadmill endurance test for Sasha.

I got up about 4:45 to head off to the gym. Weight pre-run 148.4. Drank about 10 oz water before heading to the gym. Ran 1 mile warmup at 4:30 mph pace. Potty stop and another 8 oz of water.

Set the treadmill for 6.6 mph and settled in. My heart rate the first two miles was about 159-161 most of the time. At the start of the third mile my heart rate started going up and I was feeling the pace. Heart rate averaged 161-163 during this mile. In the fourth mile I mentally wanted to stop the entire time. I was tired and hot and thirsty. Heart rate went between 163-165 and occasionally 166.

I stopped at the 4 mile mark. I was starting to feel faint, but did not yet have the roaring in my ears and black spots that usually precede this yet. I am not sure if I was at the end of my endurance or if I mentally gave up.

1 mile cooldown at 4:30 mph pace.

Weight post-run 155.6. Lost nearly 3 pounds of fluid during the run - plus the 18 oz I drank pre-run. (I am going to have to research this to find out how I can figure out an optimal amount of hydration for a run such as this)

I think I have pushed past a lot of mental barriers in the past 3 months. I know there is a ways to go, but I am going to limit my hard speed training to one day a week (either a speed or tempo workout or a race) and then work on endurance and get back into weight training.
Photobucket

No comments: