Adventures In Running

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Speed Work Starting Again

Now that I am recovering from injuries and not training for a 50 mile race in the future, it is time to get back to speed work again. Granted – I doubt I will ever be fast, but I am already faster than I ever thought I would be.

Since I had a neighbor that has thoughtfully decided to wake up the entire condo subdivision by blaring a clock radio from 4:00-5:00 a.m. while they are out of town – I went to the gym at 4:30 this morning. I started out my day with an hour of weight training on my legs and core.

Treadmill time came next. I alternated half mile splits with the first half mile at 5.2 mph and the next half mile at 6.2 mph. After 5 miles of this, I gradually dropped my speed .1 mph from the 6.2 until the treadmill hit the cool-down section at 60 minutes. The speed work felt good and it was amazing how the slower half mile actually felt easy after the speedier portions. I felt like I was on Biggest Loser because I was absolutely dripping sweat from the effort.

I think I will repeat this workout for the next couple of weeks (increasing the speed each week by .1 mph) until after the Utah Valley Marathon on June 13th and then add in a tempo workout in addition to speed intervals.

No comments: