Adventures In Running

Friday, September 3, 2010

Believe It, Be It – Thoughts on the book

This last week I read 'Believe It, Be It' by Ali Vincent. She was the woman who became the first female winner on The Biggest Loser. I found the book interesting and worth the investment I paid for it. I highlighted several sections in the book, but some of the following really caught my attention and made me think.

When you don't set goals, you deny yourself opportunities to succeed and celebrate. It's important to set realistic goals for yourself and rejoice when you achieve them.

I have always liked to focus on goals and set challenges and/or resolutions for myself. I like her take on the subject of goal setting and also on recognizing when you have succeeded at that goal.

Quit mothering your mom. Rescuing my mom was not the answer to my problems—or hers.

Wow! This statement and the sections around it really hit me like a ton of bricks. I had never really thought of my behavior when my mother was alive as my trying to rescue my mother from her unhappiness with life, but after reading this section, I realized that was exactly what I was always trying to do.

Consistency is key when you're trying to make big changes in your life.

So true! Often we forget that and we try to bite off more than we can chew. A little at a time and consistently attacking the goal will get us where we want to go.

Of course it's hard, because it wouldn't feel this good if it weren't.

People often ask me why I push myself to run the distances I do. Even when I am suffering, it is a good feeling to know I am pushing myself to my limits.

I chose to compete like an athlete. I would give it everything I had. I was determined to follow through and accomplish my goal.

This is what I want to focus on for the next year. I have a few big goals: Getting below 135 pounds. Running a sub-2 hour half marathon. Qualifying for Boston. Getting my body as strong as I can. In order to do any or all of these, this is the focus I need to apply and the attitude I need to have.

Stop seeing the obstacles you face as reasons why you can't do something. See them as a reason why you can. And celebrate your accomplishments on a daily basis.

The statement speaks for itself.

My body is my Olympic solo, my Tour de France, my Mount Everest, my Super Bowl touchdown, my step on the moon.

I had never quite thought of it this way. We learn at church that our body is a temple, but this statement really speaks to me.

No comments: