Adventures In Running

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Professional Goals for 2010

My company created and runs an online Performance Appraisal application called Performance Pro. As part of my annual appraisal process, I set a variety of goals (or have them set for me sometimes) related to my planned work for the next year. However, that is just work related. I thought this would be a good time to document some of the professional goals that I would like to accomplish in the next year.

  • Knowledge Growth – read a minimum of one book per month on subjects that are of interest to me and will help me grow in my career. These include books on Database Administration, SQL Server 2005, PHP, MySQL, and Project Development.
  • Get a good basic knowledge of Project Development and start to apply this knowledge to all projects I am working on – large and small.
  • Spend at least 2 hours per week on the SQL Server Central forums and increase my knowledge of the items discussed there that I am not familiar with.
  • Get more involved in my local SQL Server User Group and attend either the Salt Lake or Utah county groups on a regular basis.

I'm thinking it might be worth the extra expenditure to get myself in some online classes or use some of my vacation time to attend a conference. However, at this time I don't plan on creating any actual goals until I see what the first part of the year brings about.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I think you deserve a medal for bravery! And none of it even sounds exciting! Good for you. You are quite a woman!

Love, Mary

Johann said...

Maybe you'll learn to understand project managers as well. If you do, please let me know. I don't get them...