Adventures In Running

Friday, January 8, 2010

2010 Fitness Goals

I am taking a little different route this year than in many of the past years. After multiple injuries in 2009, I want to use 2010 as a rebuilding year to get my body strong and healthy and skinny again.

To break the goals down a little more specifically:

Running Goals:

  • Focus on Half Marathons in 2010. Try to get my half marathon time below 2 hours.
  • St. George Marathon – I have a guaranteed entry to this race under the '3rd times a charm' clause, so plan to run it in October and break 5 hours for the first time.
  • Pony Express 50 Mile ultramarathon – I will turn 50 in November and want to finish a 50 Mile race before then. Notice, I said FINISH. Doesn't have to be glamorous – just has to get done.
  • Run a minimum of 3X a week when not injured.
  • Read 3 running books.

Fitness Goals:

  • Weight training a minimum of 3X a week. I need to get strong again. My body felt much better during the time that I was working out with a personal trainer and I need to get that strength and feeling back.
  • Yoga – 2 sessions a week. Most of these will be to the YogaMazing podcasts. They are between 20-30 minutes in length and I enjoy the series.
  • Flexibility/Stretching. Focus on stretching for 10-20 minutes anytime after completing a workout of longer than 60 minutes.
  • Successfully complete the 100 pushup challenge.
  • Successfully complete the 200 sit-up challenge.

Cardio/Endurance Goals:

  • In addition to running, use a balance of ellipticals/arc trainers/cycling/walking/water workouts/aerobic classes to accomplish a minimum of 45 minutes of cardio 6 days a week. The balance will help me avoid muscle and joint injuries caused from focusing solely on running.

Healthy Eating Goals:

  • Incorporate Clean Eating as a lifestyle and eliminate my junk food addictions (except for hot chocolate – that is a need, not an addiction).
  • Try a minimum of 2 new recipes per week.
  • Learn to plan meals ahead (at least 1 day).
  • Fit back in my size 8 pants (no complaints will be heard if they get loose).

I intend to do a follow-up to this post at the start of each month to make sure I am staying on track.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Hey Girl! I love your goals, they sound just like MINE! I've been hitting the gym really heavy this week and I feel better already! I know what you mean about the size 8 jeans, mine are going to fit again or else!!! Have you been by my blog? Stop in and visit. I've got you in my Google Reader. Hugs!
http://songberries.blogspot.com