Adventures In Running

Friday, November 2, 2012

Plantar Fasciosis

This has been a frustrating year for me with a lot of foot pain. I started experiencing Plantar Fasciitis in the left foot earlier this year, then the right foot.  Right foot no longer bothers me.  The left foot got a little better.

While running the Wasatch Crest with Leslie one day in September, I thought I had a bruise on the instep of my foot - near the heel.  Every once in a while, I would run over a rock that hit right on that spot and it would hurt for a little bit.  I picked up a pair of Hoka Stinson Evos for the extra cushioning hoping that would help.

Then came the St. George Marathon (blog post to follow later today).  Starting at mile nine, my left heel hurt at every step. I just figured the bruising was getting worse and hoped it wasn't a stress fracture.  Painful 17 miles - but I was able to finish.

I cut down on running for a couple of weeks and at the urging of Davy Crockett, went in to make sure I didn't have a stress fracture. 

Diagnosis - the Plantar Fasciitis was now a more annoying Plantar Fasciosis.  The podiatrist built up my left orthotic to put pressure on the Plantar Fascia and has me massaging with BioFreeze and icing the foot.  Hopefully this will help. 

I try not to whine, but it has been frustrating.  I can no longer wear my Vibram FiveFingers (an entire summer without them) and can't walk around barefoot any more.

I'm hoping by wearing the orthotics and losing weight this winter that I can get this into remission and run without pain again.

No comments: