Adventures In Running

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Much to be thankful for

Today is Thanksgiving Day in America and I was able to celebrate today with my son, Kevin and my father, John Miles. We had a non-traditional meal of giant steaks, large baked potatoes, and lemon meringue pie. Kevin wanted steak – and he got steak. I bought three steaks that were each about 1 1/3 lb. in weight. Between the three of us – we only finished off 1.5 of the 3 steaks. Of course, that allowed me to meet my goal of lots of leftovers for my favorite college student.

Thanksgiving is an often forgotten holiday in between the craziness of Halloween and the over spending of Christmas. I wish we could place more emphasis on it. I love getting out my Thanksgiving decorations. I love the idea of being grateful for all the many things we have been given. I think we all need to show more gratitude and have less needs and wants (including myself).

Some of the items I am grateful for today are:

  • My wonderful daughter, Jennifer and her husband, Jeremy.
  • My awesome son, Kevin.
  • My cool grandkids, Elise and Brad – and getting to know them this last year.
  • A great sister who is also my best friend.
  • A father who is still healthy and strong.
  • Lots of brothers, brother-in-law, sisters-in-law, nieces, nephews, mother-in-law, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.
  • A great job and some supportive co-workers.
  • Twilight – the wonder dog.
  • A good relationship with my ex-husband.
  • Good friends.

Since this is my running blog, some running things to be grateful for are:

  • Finishing my 50 mile race.
  • Marathon running.
  • The ultramarathon community.
  • Running friends.
  • Being able to have a good supply of running gear.
  • Being able to run.
  • A strong body.
  • Potential.

There is so much more, but I will call this good for now. I am most grateful for a loving Heavenly Father and his son, Jesus Christ, and the knowledge that they know me personally, love me, care for me, and want me to be able to do better each and every day.

1 comment:

Cherie said...

Maurine - I am so amazed that you finished that 50 miler. Rock on! You really do inspire me to know that even when I'm frustrated because I can't run right now (with my wee ones I just can't get out the door enough), I know that I will still have mountains enough to conquer in my life time. Keep up the good work.

Happy holidays! Thank you for taking care of Grandpa, I worry so much about him getting the love and attention he needs now that he is all alone. I'm glad you are there for him when he needs you.