Adventures In Running

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Life related to Project Management for Dummies

I just finished reading Project Management for Dummies. It was my first book on Project Management and a lot of the concepts are still totally foreign to me, but it is part of the learning process. What I found was interesting while reading this book is that some of the quotes I enjoyed apply to all of my life and not just the Project Management portion at work. Here are some of my favorites:

  • The more specific your project objectives (insert plans and goals), the greater your chances are of achieving them.
  • Don't use technical jargon.
  • Make your objectives SMART: Specific, Measurable, Aggressive, Realistic, Time-sensitive.
  • Often a project (insert problem) is like an iceberg: Nine-tenths of it lurks below the surface.
  • Past history doesn't guarantee future performance. It does, however, provide a guideline for what's possible.
  • Why do we say the very things we don't want people to hear? The reason is either fear of success or fear of failure. Unfortunately, by trying to minimize the pain of failure, we wind up essentially guaranteeing that we'll experience it.

No comments: