Adventures In Running

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Recovery is over

I did a run in the Avenues and up City Creek Canyon this morning with my friend Marion and did not feel any twinges in the IT band. This means that my recovery plan has worked as I intended it to (thank heavens). I think I can now cautiously start putting hills back in my workouts – but will still play it cautious on downhills for a while.

The Ogden Marathon is coming up again in 2+ weeks on May 16th. This race holds a special place in my heart because Ogden was my very first marathon in 2004. How terrifying and exhilarating it was to contemplate that first 26.2 miles and I was so grateful to my family for showing up and supporting me and to my good friend, Vic Mason, who got me started running/walking marathons and met me at mile 18 to take me in to the finish. I have run this race every year since that first one, with the exception of 2008. For some reason, my doctor wouldn't let me run a race three days after major abdominal surgery.

I'm not quite in the condition I wanted to be for Ogden due to the injury and recovery, but I am optimistic for a good time (not a great time) as far as my speed and a great time as far as being out there running again. My plan is to run 9 minutes/ walk 1 minute from the very start and be conservative until part way down the canyon and then start pushing myself if my knee is feeling good.

One of the disadvantages of having so many races already planned out is that my Saturdays are pretty full. That same day is my sister's first triathlon and I would love to be there cheering her on – but can't be in two places at the same time (I'm working on that as a goal for next year). Hopefully she knows that in my heart and mind I will be thinking of her and wishing her a great race and a wonderful day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I assume that is the Vic Mason in Layton?

Does Judy ever join in?