Adventures In Running

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Running in Michigan

I flew in with a co-worker to Detroit on Monday evening and am involved in meetings and testing in Livonia, Michigan. Once again I am running the paved trails that run along the freeway. I missed running here on my last trip because my leg was still in the boot and my ankle pretty messed up.

Last night I ran south on the trails. I have only ran that way once before for a couple of miles and walked back from work for a mile in March. It was nice seeing a whole new section of trail. I was even able to start pushing my pace and set my Garmin to beep any time I slowed down below 11:30 minute miles. I was actually able to manage to run most of my miles at around 11:00, so the speed is slowly improving.

This morning I got up early and ran north on the section of trail I have done multiple times. It was drizzling a bit as I headed out, so I left my phone/music behind. A couple of miles out it started pouring, so I enjoyed a nice refreshing run. I really enjoy the trees and bushes and grasses surrounding the trail. Utah doesn't really have a lot of decent trees and I grew up surrounded by a wide variety of trees, so it felt like going back to my old home. Splashed through lots of puddles and ran carefully when there were sections of wet clay on the path so I wouldn't take a face plant or butt landing.

Two more days of running here, then I take my show on the road to a planned 13 mile run by my childhood home and schools in the suburbs of Chicago.

No comments: