Adventures In Running

Monday, April 18, 2011

Eating Healthy is Hard Work

Today marks day 7 of eating healthy. Here are some thoughts on the subject:

  • It takes a total mental refocus to eat healthy. It is not going to happen unless you really want to make the change.
  • It is a lot of work to eat healthy.
  • Eating healthy requires planning. Meal plans, shopping lists, etc.
  • Eating healthy requires cleaning junk out of your kitchen (and spare room - and office drawers).
  • Unless you are independently wealthy – eating healthy requires cooking.
  • Cooking requires extra time. But – you can cook multiple things at once and prepare for several days in advance, so not too much extra time.

I am 50 years old. I have been reading a lot about nutrition and the body. I have also been reading about body weight and aging (sad to think that aging applies to me). I have let junk food and my beloved friends chocolate and sugar control my life for too many years. (Don't worry friends – I am not the type to turn my back and abandon friends entirely). If I want to live many more years to torture my children and grandchildren and enjoy myself while doing so – I need to make these changes.

Some of the changes needed:

  • Remove sugar and fat as major parts of my diet. (sniff, sniff, sob)
  • Lose at least 20 pounds and possibly 30 to get my body to where it should be to handle the fact that aging causes muscle and bone loss unless you prevent that.
  • Incorporate fruits and vegetables into every meal I eat (this is a hard change).
  • Plan meals and menus in advance.
  • Grocery shop.
  • Pack my breakfasts and lunches the night before.
  • When I slip or eat junk – make sure it is what I want and that I at least am enjoying myself and not stuffing my face mindlessly.

No comments: